Saturday, July 17, 2010

Midnight 50K, the remix

My second attempt at a 50K post-polymyositis comes this weekend. My first attempt at Sylamore in February did not go well. Leg muscles locked up with about 6 miles to go. After having to repeatedly lie down on the side of the trail and wait for them to loosen up, I had to walk it in. I'm not certain, but I think dehydration played a role. This time I'll try to be a little more diligent with it, and try not to be too ambitious in the earlier miles. Especially since the forecast high in the area has hit triple digits. I missed this run last year, and was sad. It's a perennial favorite of mine. Something about running in your flashlight tunnel with the locusts pounding in your ears... it's a bit transcendent at times. Then again at other times, it's just plain hot and nasty.

One consistency I've noticed when toeing the line for longer events is a blatant uncertainty regarding what the next several hours will hold. Once again, I can confidently say that I have no idea what will happen. Nirvana? Despair? PR? A ride in the sag wagon? Which is interesting, because I am a very play-it-safe kind of person in real life. I love how recreation gives us an opportunity to lead double lives. To enable risk-taking in appropriate arenas. Leisure scientists refer to this as sensation-seeking. I call it "what was I thinking?" Or "I hope I'm laughing about this someday."

Catch you on the flip side.

K

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie, I hope you don't mind me posting this here, it is in benefit of juvenile dermatomyositis, a childhood disease similar to your PM.

    http://www.refresheverything.com/makejmamemory

    Please go to this link and vote for Pepsi to make a $250,000 grant to research a cure for this terrible childhood autoimmune disease, dermatomyositis, that attacks a child's muscles.

    I have the adult version of this disease. I can't imagine what it is like having it and being in grade school. Vote August 30 and August 31.

    ReplyDelete