Monday, December 19, 2011

December 19

Another couple of months, and this time, I am feeling a bit better. Physically, I have been doing decently since I switched drugs back in the summer and got that flare under control. Mentally and emotionally, I was at my wit's end with the heavy Prednisone crutch that I was leaning on during the changeover. I am still taking double-digit mg's per day, but have come down significantly since the 20 I was on for several months there. I feel a bit more normal, emotionally. Ahhh.

It is time, however, for a second opinion. Past time, probably. I have been putting it off for 2 reasons: I have gotten a few faculty interview opportunities just recently. I wouldn't be moving to a different end of the country or anything (that ship sailed when I got sick), but if I were to relocate, it would certainly affect who my primary rheumatologist is and which specialty clinics are regionally available. Also, since I am showing normal bloodwork and fairly asymptomatic so far on Arava, I wouldn't get as much value out of a clinic visit at this time. Which is a catch-22 if you think about it. It would be fairly risky to wait until I got sick to get in the queue for Johns Hopkins or somewhere. But if I went now, I'd go a long way for them to tell me that my workup is normal. The prudent thing to do, of course, is to go ahead and commit to a clinic and get into their network. Which I'll do just as soon as the last of my recent interview opportunities shakes itself out.

Merry Christmas! Looking forward to some family time and spiritual fortification, as well as some preparation for the coming semester. Catch you on the flip side...